If you have the means, the skills, the connections, and the chutzpah to
demand the rates for your work, then awesome.  Continue living the dream.
 I just sympathize with those that for whatever reasons have had their
options marginalized.  I think once you secured your finances and the bills
are paid, then you have more options to pick and choose the projects AND
the terms you like.

Let's be honest, CG can be a very good financial career depending on where
you are in the food chain.  I can prove it by how many people drive cars in
the 30k+ range, own homes, Canon MkII/MKIII owners, those fancy
quadracopters with cameras on them that you fly with an iPad, the iPad
itself, new smart phones, etc.  Some of us hardly have an excuse to cry
poor.  But some artists who do amazing work aren't being paid properly for
their skills.  Those are the ones we need to watch out for because they're
equal partners in defining our industry as well as the future of our
industry.

I've had friends that have chased tentpole after tentpole, made good money
working loads of OT during the length of the job, and then cough up all
that money during dry times and medical bills.  It's punishment for being
huge fans of dragons and big-breasted katana wielding chicks with zombie
ass arsenals and want to contribute to that body of work.  That's just not
right.

-Lu