I think we can look at the music industry as an example of what could happen.
Whether we want that or not is debatable.

The games market is heading in a similar direction as Valve, NCSoft, Blizzard,
and other studios are developing their own distribution systems to publish
their games and get rid of the middle man who often creates a lot of the drama
in the cycle.  The downside to this model is it requires significantly more
capital to get established and you need to find the customers yourself.  That
puts additional pressure on each project to succeed.  If it's not a smash hit
out of the gate, the studio often folds because it cannot recoup its
development costs.

Here at Carbine, we're owned by NCSoft but we're still working on our first
project.  It will enter its 9th year come April.  From the outside it sounds
like stability, but internally it's a lot of hard work that comes with a lot of
risk as we've accumulated 9 years of development costs and expenses that need
to be repaid at some point in time.  If a project drags on long enough, showing
up to work can become very stressful because of the weight of needing to
succeed.  Some people can't deal with that stress and move on.   Another aspect
to consider.

Matt