If you mean you need that quality in the
viewport(tesselation,SSS,shadows...) and not because you're making a
DX game,
then OpenGL 4.x although to 10% slower in some conditions can do
exactly the same, it's all about having the shaders to do it.
the speed problem in Softimage is that it's compiling al the shader
trees on the fly, the more you have, the longer it will be.

Ahmidou Lyazidi
Director | TD | CG artist
http://vimeo.com/ahmidou/videos