the model does not “include” the delta.

think of the reference model as a placeholder for the emdl-file written on disk
– each resolution can be the path to another file.
The delta contains the differences, or additions, on top of that model, in the
scene. They are part of the scene.
when the scene is opened, the model is read from disk, and the deltas get
applied on top.
(I’m sure all of this is explained in the manuals better than I could)
The model is the asset, the deltas are the shot based modifications to the
asset.
Normally you should not be doing changes on a reference model that you want to
propagate elsewhere than the current scene/shot. A proper workflow is to keep a
scene with the model local (=not referenced) and make modifications in that
scene, and export the model from there. It will properly propagate to the
scenes which use the model as referenced. I would keep that scene in the
production library, and name it according to the asset and _edit as a suffix –
and always use that scene for modifications. (and keep versions of it, as well
as of the exported models )

Agreed, sometimes you end up doing something you shouldn’t have – such as
making modifications on top of a referenced model rather than in the original,
_edit scene.  (really, think about this. You’re saying here that the tools
don’t behave as they should, but you are not using them the way they were
designed to work... )
You can make the reference model local to the scene - at which point it is no
longer linked to the file on disk, and the delta gets applied to the model. If
you export that model it will include all the changes you made.
Now, to do things properly I would export this model as a temporary model,
import it in the _edit scene, and bring over the changes you made onto the
model in there and export from this scene. Mostly for keeping a proper history
of the changes you did, but also for being more precise about what changes I
would like to be included in the model and what I would like to keep as delta
in the shot.