Yeah, that's my only suggestion really - I've had quite a few problems
before where I had very dense particles being culled by complex geo and on
random frames you'd get very distinct cubes where the volume calculations
have freaked out. Never found a particularly useful workaround, I'm afraid.

Simplifying the geo has helped, sometimes not grouping them together and
doing several tests on individual parts did. But sometimes that just shifts
the problem to different frames - for the project I was on we had one of
those unfortunate 'just do it in Houdini' moments.

Good luck! :)