Hi Steven,

I tried to use PySide together with your PyQt4XSI plugin last year and managed
to get your basic demos running after replacing some lines of code (I think it
was mostly the import statements changed to point at PySide.blah instead of the
PyQt ones). No real problems I can remember, but projects caught up with me and
I couldn't try harder to find any.

What proofed to be a major pita was (and still is) that I could not find any
x64 version of PySide that includes the Shiboken Python module out of the box
and is compatible with Python 2.6.x. There are a couple of pre-built packages
for download both from http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyside and
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Binaries_Windows, but none of them includes
shiboken.pyd as far as I could see. Back then I was lucky and some kind sould
sent me a compatible version of the module (maybe that was even you? Sorry, I
really can't recall)

Meanwhile, from what I could learn from the net, the missing module seems to be
due to a bug in one of the PySide build scripts and allegedly has been fixed
months ago, it's just that nobody has made a new build with it and made it
publicly available yet (neither Gohlke nor the maintainers of the PySide
project and it's associated web pages), which is also where even I feel that
PySide is less well maintained compared to PyQt, admittedly.

Did you compile Qt and PySide yourself or did you find an alternate source with
precompiled binaries?

Ultimately, I think what's needed to get that missing module is a custom PySide
build compiled against Python 2.7.x and VS2010 (for SI2014) or Python 2.6.x and
VS2008 (for anything older than SI2014) and an as up to date Qt version as
possible (don't know if 5.x would be a good idea, 4.8.4 seems to be the latest
of the 4.x line).

Early last week I finally had time to make another attempt and finally managed
to compile Qt 4.8.4 for x64 against Python 2.7.4 and VS2010 (without Phonon, I
skipped installing DX for now). Next on my list was to compile PySide against
that build to hopefully and finally get a compatible version of this dreaded
Shiboken module. But I'd rather skip all that and just use yours, though I'm
still really curious as to where you got it from, in case you didn't compile
yourself :-)

In any way, if you still need or want more testers I'd love to give it a shot.

And as always, thanks for investing so much of your time into it.

Stefan

Hey Gang

Tony Barbieri and I have been working on official support for PySide with
the PyQtForSoftimage plugin and I need some testers...

Who here wants to use PySide instead of PyQt4? It is a little rough right
now so, only people that really want to use PySide should contact me.

Thanks
Steven

               Stefan Kubicek
           keyvis digital imagery
          Alfred Feierfeilstraße 3
       A-2380 Perchtoldsdorf bei Wien
         Phone:    +43/699/12614231
      www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at
--  This email and its attachments are   --
--confidential and for the recipient only--