We mostly tend to use software, by version, or patched, or by package, that
doesn't shit itself over a meager 700 curves :p

We have the same problem to some extent, but working in the thousands, and
when it's addressed it's addressed by giving people tools that key things
more conservatively. It's not always done though, and occasionally we pay
the blood price for it and ask for more fixes.

As for character key sets, the general consensus, and this is across
several apps, is that they are the festering pit where good animation goes
to die, so we tend to stay away from them. They require a specificity of
actions and knowledge, not to mention a maintenance overhead, that means
they simply don't get used by any animator.

You assume that animators work the way you do, with a thorough
understanding of the software's intricacies, most of the times they don't.
As far as software interaction goes, you have to assume rolling one's face
on the keyboard is as far as basic competence is required, and being able
to roll it both left to right and right to left is considered extreme
software dexterity and makes one an Autodesk Master.