I totally second that. With 2014 at least it's possible to see procedural
textures in Realtime in the HQ vewport, but
still opening up ICE to scene texture reading/writing is one of it's main
missing features (that, and the lack for NURBS geometry support).

this is one of my biggest complaints with Soft

in maya you can get a fractal texture and drive anything with it, and see it
in the viewport....

so, for example you can drive the emission rate of particles or their size

i know you can use turbulize, but you can't see the turbulence, unless you
also drive a weightmap with the turbulence, but then you need a really dense
mesh.... too many hoops to jump through!

what would be excellent is being able to evaluate rendertree
procedurals/mixers and pass that data through to ICE

i just did a shot setting a zeppelin on fire, i used a complex mix of
fractals/ICE driven weightmaps to texture holes burning through an object,
but to feed this 'matte' into the fluid sim, i had to rendermap these
fractals to use as a texturemap sequence in the ICE tree... (don't even get
me started on fractals rendering differently between mental ray and arnold!)

it just bothers me that ICE is incredibly open in most areas, but then at
some point we always seem to come up against a broken pipe!

/end rant