In max any procedural texture can be used in all the builtin modifiers that
support mapping  and stuff (as input or as mask), which is very nice. dont
know if that applies to custom built procedural textures...
that is not the same things as viewing procedural textures in the viewport
(rendering), which is now possible in SI with HQV