Hey folks,

Who's in the mood for some open-source camera I/O code? I'm kind of getting
bummed out on having to write the same camera tools at every studio just to
get a simple, lightweight and most importantly reliable camera pushed
around from app to app. FBX does *not* cut it, not to mention it's not
available for all apps that could make use of it. So I thought I would whip
up a spec based on json and offer it up open source so anyone willing to
donate some time, could create some simple tools to import/export for their
favorite app. The spec is VERY lightweight and doesn't include some things
that I'm sure someone will want... but please let me know your thoughts.

I already have a Softimage plugin working (consider it alpha). At this
point it only has minor sanity checking and logic tests and I'm sure there
are a zillion ways to improve it. But it's a start. The goal is to at least
have plugins that all read and write the same spec from Houdini, Softimage,
Maya, Max, Blender, Nuke... and more. I've built the Soft one using PyQt
and it would be nice to maintain some consistency between apps, so I'm
hopeful that the other versions could be based off of the same .ui file.

What do you guys think? Any interest in this? I know it's a simple thing
but I'm sure a lot of you also write these tools at studios quite a bit too
and could possibly be into something like this.

Check out the spec and source, and if you have time, play with the Soft
plugin here: https://bitbucket.org/crewshin/json-cam

If you have completely zero interest in this... no worries. Thanks for
looking.

--
-Gene
www.genecrucean.com