Hey Gene,
that's a very good idea and if well developed could de facto become useful
to many studio outta here (most comes with their own because of this lack
of standard that would answer any needs).

Some rough notes though if I may:
- unit: as soon as you store transforms in a file, you want to keep track
of what units have been used (houdini, maya, etc are not using the same
scene units as units are usually set per show)
- camera rigs: cameras can be quite complex hierarchies, would be great to
have a way to describe what our camera rig is and it to be correctly
exported.
- scale: required (even if 1 is always assumed)
- double precision: do we really need to store so high precision doubles
for transforms? (having an option would be nice)
- file format: your backend should not be that tied to the exporting code
(use abstraction)... for many studios, json is not suitable and they might
prefer for legacy reasons to use others or use binary formats for
compression.
- spec version: backward compatibility reasons
- channels: allow the export of channels/extra attributes (would be
parameters in softimage)
- frame ranges: use frame ranges.  if your range is from 0 to 99, you dont
want to write an array of numbers, considering that:
    10 + (90 * 2 characters) + 99 commas + ']' + '[' = 291 bytes (with no
counting whitespaces + newlines chars)
  while
    '0-99x1' = 6 bytes...
- namespaces: believe me this will very quickly become a nightmare!
- ids: you always want ids... (for very quick comparison, and integrity
checks)... we can't rely on names.
- metadatas: what department produced it? for what role? has it been
published as an asset? how many cameras? etc. You usually cant guess right
what they would be, so allow your users to have a storage place where they
can store them (available in your API as a dict or whatever datastructure
for clients to manipulate them).
- ...

hope this contributes!
:)