In all honesty, if Soft was to go down the route C4D went in the last four
years I'd move away from it in a hurry.
This isn't some kind of mis-placed elitism, it's more that the appeal to
the MCD of the app becomes more apparent each version, and while it's very
fast and practical at doing many small things, it's growing sclerotically
dysfunctional at the bigger picture and it's developed an extremely narrow
sighted user-base.

There's also a big Apple factor to its success in that field unrelated to
the situation you outline that shouldn't be left out of the picture.

C4D is more likely to still be a product in three years, for sure, but it's
lost all chances to become a platform.

ZBrush I don't believe should feature in the comparison and context at all,
it's a singular, field defining blip in history that has little to nothing
in common with the availability of education or its target, and it results
from a singular and very left field vision to begin with.

I can't say I have seen such complex work done in C4D by all these amazing
artists either. I've seen a lot of small bits recombined any and every way,
sure, but most of it is painfully obvious as a form of thinking particles
kit bashing. Compared to the original FX work done in Soft, Maya or Houdini
for commercials and titles (IE: G-Star Raw work by Glassworks) it's way
below par.

They've seriously pigeonholed themselves, but they have done so in a very
profitable niche they have now almost cornered. More After Effects than 3D
DCC.