From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Kris Rivel
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:45 PM
To: Softimage List
Subject: Re: Future of Naiad

This is a depressing thread!  After going through Graham's email...hoping to
see one mention of Soft...and finding nothing...I'm left feeling pretty bummed
out.  This idea that Autodesk can market one app to one type of industry vs.
the other is ridiculous.  Studios and artists pick what they know, or have
available, not what some corporation "says" fits the bill.  All three products
have proven themselves just fine doing games, movies and commercials.  Its
funny though.  The past few weeks I've spoken to so many "converted" or
multi-app artists that use maya, max, c4d or some combo because they can't get
enough Soft work.  BUT...the funny thing is that each and everyone complains
how frustrating it is when they know they could do it in Soft so much easier.
Its hysterical....and sad at the same time.  Its the little engine that could
and "did" but ultimately was pushed aside because of bad marketing, buy-outs
and corporate BS.

Expecting them to keep all three alive, well and generally the same though is
probably not reality and if they are planning on that...well...they're going to
lose the entire M&E industry because others are creeping up with some very cool
stuff.  I personally am leaning towards Houdini and other niche apps.  The only
thing keeping everyone paying that damn maintenance fee to get upgraded is
because its still the industry default and like photoshop...unavoidable...but
only for now.

If I was Autodesk, I would focus on something truly next gen.  Something cloud
and subscription based that combines the best of all 3 in a whole new
way..."one application to rule them all".

Kris

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Scott Lange