So they have a scarcely maintained aging PoS they are still managing to
sell for gazillions as a high prestige product, and have insofar managed to
distract the audience from the fact the emperor is freeballing it, and
you'd go to the board asking for the management who's pulling that hat
trick off to be replaced? :)

They do feel increasingly dysfunctional in their communication and user
base management, but so does nearly any large enough media oriented large
house these days. Only the Foundry seems to be closer in touch with the top
tiers of the VFX industry.
It's very possible AD is simply more Adobe than Alias/Soft, and we just
can't (nor should we be supposed to) be served by a company with that kind
of mentality.

All that said, Foundry is doing better than ok and they seem to care a lot
for the VFX business at many levels, unlike AD as a larger entity (which
you have to remember is NOT Soft or Alias), and pipelines are going atomic
with OSS glue, so the days of Maya/Soft/MAX not being required across the
whole pipe are upon us already.

When you think about it already entire chunks of the pipe in the top end
reflect that, and a lot of that is trickling down to the middle, and will
soon enough trickle further down again.
With Katana + PRMan + Alembic Surfacing and lighting is likely the next bit
breaking off the AD continent, much like modelling did already with ZB +
Topogun.
If Fabric manages to wedge in with splice and slowly abstract things away
from Maya and convert it from host to client of platform, that's another
big chunk going.
There is less every day in an A to B scenario I open Soft or Maya for
really.

Whether that'll be viable for the small user, given the small user needs
the whole stretch of software for himself and doesn't get to divide the
expense across departments only needing parts of it like the bigger pipes
do, well, that remains to be seen. The monopoly feels less and less like
it's going to stay every day though.

If you're a small unit or work in a small shop, maybe it's time to stop
thinking like they want you to, that you NEED the all in one, and start
figuring out how you can re-engineer a staged process into your needs and
workflow.
I'm succeeding pretty well at home these days, better than I ever expected
to. Even as an individual I'm finding the big-arse DCC apps are more and
more expensive OGL and graph eval hosts than anything else.
This was simply impossible five years ago, We could barely do it at the
300+ staff project scale, now... not so much.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!