You can add Animal Logic and Weta to that list, and a number of other shops.
And the reason why is largely "because".

Mint, or Ubuntu for that matter, are hardly FOTM phenomena at this point,
but due to a number of outdated reasons and vendor support terrorism we all
get stuck with varying degrees of IT dept pressure contributing or not to
the choice.

SL is surely worth trying if you're in selection phase. It's the same
premise of CentOS (RHEL clone) but with some of the suck removed and some
important libraries tested against and added.

If you use Softimage Deb/Ubuntu distros are simply not an option. Maya and
all Foundry products however work perfectly fine on them, and SideFX even
officially supports Debs.

My bet at home is Mint currently, and I was practically shocked at how much
worked right out of the box or could be enable with the simplest of
cook-book recipes and scripts. At work I use whatever the IT department has
reason to choose (with our consulting), they deal with a lot more problems
and vendor pressure than what I do on the DCC end of things alone.

It's a shame that it seems this catch22 is just about to receive another
spin of the wheel instead of moving towards breaking it.