Just a thought but have you looked at the geometry approximation settings? Maybe there is a difference there?

Tim

On 22/08/2013 13:55, Andreas Bystrom wrote:
looks like your surface has more of a curve to it though, the more curved it is the more issues like that will show up..

also, i doubt 3dsmax subdivides much different from softimage or maya for that matter, maybe you could ask the guy to send you that piece of the model as an obj so you can try it out.