I personally find hard surface modeling with Subd's in mind really tough,
simply because you run into problems like the ones you are getting frequently
and easily. You need to jump through all kinds of hoops (additional edges and
bevels, creases, hard edges) to make certain mesh topologies look nice when
subdivided. What can really help is to break the mesh up into pieces whenever
you don't see the resulting open edges (e.g. for lids) or where sharp edges are
even required, e.g. when the object you are modeling realistically consists of
several glued or screwed together parts that form sharp edges where they meet.
Other than that, it is almost always more productive to model higher-res from
the start and not subdivide at all. At least this is what Vitaly Bulgarov
(http://www.bulgarov.com/index.html) seems to be doing judging by this
timelapse video of his (one day of work):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ct9voyU3h0

His edgy, mechanistic style does certainly work in favor of the "no SubDs"
paradigm, but I'm sure it can translate to other (more roundish) styles too.

Thanks guys!

Geo Approximation doesn't have too much effect at this moment, setting to Angle
dependent helps a bit. HQV also helps  a bit but nothing really helps this. So
guys, so there any special tricks you use for daily hard surface modeling?
Cheers!

Szabolcs