From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Alan Fregtman
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:53 AM
To: XSI Mailing List
Subject: Re: How to read .MEL script in Softimage

Maya without MEL or Python?! LOL! So no third party scripted tools then? Great!

I seriously didn't believe you til I saw the comparison page:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya-lt/compare

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Martin
<furik...@gmail.com<mailto:furik...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Thanks, but I already saw that in sicommunity. I though it would have been
great news for small companies, but it just doesn't adapt to my work.

I don't do too much mobile, so I would still need Maya to deliver ma / mb files
to my clients, and the lack of mel and SDK doesn't help to customize my
pipeline, so MLT is totally out of my list.

It could work with temporal personal who doesn't mind to work with MayaLT for a
few weeks or months. Maya as it is out of the box, and I haven't met a single
Maya user who doesn't rely in plugins and scripts. Maya out of the box is
getting much better though.

An Essentials or Foundation version would have been better but I don't see that
coming. I'm considering Modo too, but I'll have to stick with Softimage and
Maya at least a few licenses because I need to deliver ma, mb and scn files,
even if that means a huge investment for a small company, specially with
outrageous japanese prices.

btw, MLT is about US$1300 here.

Martin

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Nicolas Esposito