I'm sure you're used to Maya, where the environment gets cluttered with
anything and everything you run, in XSI as Steve mentioned you get a clean
engine every tab, every run.
Good and bad to it (personally I find it generally more good than bad
compared to a constantly and unpredictably stale environment and the
contents of my text editor nuked if I forget to hold down control :p).

If you want something to be available across the board you can simply write
it, register it as a module, and push it. No need for it to exist as a file.
Django in example uses a lot of really clever module magic, so it's always
a good inspiration.
As for what is becoming known as the magic pattern:
http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/dec/03/making-magic/

It's a little bit of work the first time around, but once you get the hang
of it a template that allows you to dump in, alter, or remove anything from
a transitional module is pretty easy to produce and will be a good
investment of your time.