I have a 460 GTS with 2GB and it has been running absolutely flawless for 3
years now.
I don't think the chip is primarily relevant to stability.
From my experience it's much more a question of the cards maker, bios and
drivers (and combinations thereof) rather than the actual silicon underneath.
Likewise you could argue that Soft runs more stable on Intel than on AMD, but
I've heard nothing like that and I've never experienced any difference either.
You are either lucky with the card, or you are not. It crashes? Try a different
driver. Still crashes? Try on a different system. Still crashes? Try a
different bios. Still crashes? Buy one from a different maker. So far (the last
12 or so years) I was always lucky and could resolve everything by using a
different driver, or driver settings (like disabling multithreaded
optimisations), and _not_ turning Windows Aero (or whatever it's called) off.

400 series in general are problematic with Softimage.  There was some key
architecture change that doesn’t sit well.  We experienced a lot of blue
screens and other issues with the 460 and 480.

The 500 and 600 series seem to be ok.

Matt