Using a 3DSMax rigged sample character scene from the UDK docs,
I made a roundtrip through Maya and Softimage using the *.fbx format.

I didn´t try to export any rig controls, just a "human" rig.

It´s worth checking to have the latest *.fbx version installed and
using an export preset that seems applicable, I think I resorted to
"Autodesk Media Entertainment 2012 bla" (im on 2012´s).

I can´t say if that was the best way but that roundtrip worked.

I ended up with Maya/3DSMax/Softimage each having the rigged, animated
character in a scene.

In my case, there was some nuisance with the BIPED rig getting interpreted as a
second rig
the character is rigged to in Softimage, I had to delete that biped in XSI to
get back to
similar results as in 3DSMax, leaving only the rig meant for export - it is
likely that was
my export settings or selection settings. I had straight results going from
Maya to Softimage.

Cheers,

tim