I used the default weighting before a lot, but never again, neither Maya
nor Softimage.  It is much faster to have a proper weighting using the
inside out method on both apps.

Wich in my case it is faster and more controlable in Softimage than in
Maya.  Specially by using the weight editor in Softimage, I had some funky
experiences using the same in Maya.