In games we have different name conventions, bones count and structure,
model and unit size, character proportions, etc. so a base mesh is not very
useful outside that project. But of course I do use Gator and Maya's copy
weights to accelerate my character mass production when it is possible.

I also use the SI default weighting with 1 deformer as a base, enforce
limit bones if needed, then retouch and smooth where needed. SI's envelope
with more than 1 deformer is unusable because you don't have any control in
the smooth distance or dropoff rate. In Softimage's Set Envelope you have
what, number of skeletons option and a Method option that I haven't figured
out yet in what situation I could use the Normal-based one.

We use only nulls in games (Softimage), not bones (bones are only for
rigging), and therefore the default weights sucks even harder because the
nulls position are taken as the bone center, so it is totally unusable.
Re-weight from scratch.
I could slice the character, envelope, smooth, and gator like Cesar said, I
guess. Or I could "convert" my nulls to bones. I may have to write
something to convert nulls to SI bones. Does anyone have a null to bone
script ?

When I have to do more than 1 similar character, I usually create a very
low poly base character and then use Gator / Copy Weights. But if not, I
have to set all the weights manually without a decent base, or do it in
Maya.

I remember that when I was a junior, learning Maya, somehow I messed up the
weights with a couple of hours to deadline to deliver a few still renders.
The character was a monster with a few tentacles and all that weird stuff
so copy weights wasn't an option. The senior came, increased the default
dropoff rate, apply, and the character was good enough for posing and
deliver. With heat map now, it seems it's got better. And that's the only
weight related thing that I like in Maya.

Another thing I like in maya is that you can lock everything, even points
positions (In SI I had to write an script and an ice compound to lock
points), but that's another story.

Martin