Are all games made in an environment from what seems to be the early 90's?

And true I probably wouldn't last long in games. I like using new technology too much. :)

Eric T.

On 2/11/2014 2:47 PM, Matt Lind wrote:
You wouldn't last long in games with that attitude.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Thivierge [mailto:ethivie...@hybride.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:46 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Cc: Matt Lind
Subject: Re: Survey - how would you do this?

With those restrictions, get a super fast animator to animate them by hand.

Eric T.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:23:31 PM, Matt Lind wrote:
An artist came to my desk yesterday asking how to do what I felt was a
simple task, but after getting 80% through it I ran into a speed bump
realizing it needed custom scripting or other advanced tools to fully
resolve to satisfaction.  I had to give him a procedure that was ‘good
enough’.  This problem has multiple solutions, but I am curious how
others would solve it:

The problem:

Artist must create an asteroid belt around a planet.  The asteroids
are likely 2D sprites which must face the camera and tumble as they
orbit, but could be 3D objects as well.  Asteroids must vary in size,
shape, and animation speed (linear as well as rotational).  Asteroids
cannot collide with anything.  Movement is generally slow – like a
screen saver for your computer desktop.  Asteroid positions are
jittered within the belt.

The question:

Dispersing objects into a ring is fairly straightforward through a
number of techniques, but how do you apply the random jitter to the
object positions?

The rules:

-Cannot use ICE

-Cannot use custom scripts, custom operators, or shaders.

-Must only use tools out of the box that a junior or staff level
artist would know how to use.

-Must be able to create the asteroid belt, from scratch to completion,
in less than 30 minutes – and be iteration friendly to react to art
director feedback.

-Ideally, the belt could be made a child of the planet in encompasses
so it can be reoriented with respect to changes in the planet’s
size/shape/tilt/orbit.

-Final output must be able to exist with full integrity on its own in
a vacuum.  Cannot not have dependencies on custom code, external
assets, or special case logic.

-Asteroid belt fits within the default grid as seen in the scene
camera.  Think torus with diameter 40 SI units, and cross section of
roughly 3 SI Units diameter

Ready…..GO!

Matt