Don't get me wrong...its not like I am very excited to use it either. I knew
coming here my days of hands on SI work was over. But honestly, my career over
the last 8 years has veered away from hands on content creation so I really
don't use any DCC these days...however my team does use Maya as the main tool
exactly because it is so customizable. Along with Modo and a handful of SI
users too!

But, just because Maya is so customizable doesn't mean that it makes life
easier. From my point of view, this place built their entire workflow and
toolset on Maya and we are paying a deep cost because of that in time, money
and sanity. Most people don't see it that way. But having used other DCCs and
other engines this pain was completely self-inflicted.

The burn rate on building out Maya tools and the overhead we are paying to just
support and bug fix our own tools is crazy. I would have rather spent that
money on other tools, workflows and even building our own editor. Then at least
we would have had all the control in the world.

This is why doing it all in the DCC doesn't make sense to me.

To Graham's point, yes I have seen one too many devs with eyes bigger than
their stomach think they can build the next great engine and editor. Not too
many places can actually afford to do that or even do it right. Though I have
been lucky to work at places that can or at least be smart enough to just buy a
license of UE3\4.

Meh 2 cents to the pile.

Back to my excel and powerpoint.

:)