Mirror Pose works in fk but sometimes not in ik. Switch to fk - mirror -
switch back to ik usually works. Gear_Mc has a Mirror Animation tool, works
really well and allows an option to offset. Not sure if Gear 1.0 has the
same option, I cant remember.

For non-Gear stuff; I recently started animating in Maya and was looking
into a mirror pose tool. I found a script, changed the naming convention to
match the rig and the script works perfectly. Maybe you could look into
something like that?