Hey Brent thanks for the tip on the Sub D in Maya

More hotkeys to learn!  So let me see if I get this straight.  Instead of
using the +/- to easily change my subD levels, I go from 1 to dispaly no
subD then hit 3 to display the default  2 SubD level and UpPg and DnPg to
change the SubD display.

But then if I want no SubD I hit 1 again or hit the PgUp key until I get to
level 1 smoothness.

So I have two display modes.  1 is no subD display mode or level 1
smoothness, and 3 is SubD display mode.  I can only go with the PgUp and
PgDn only if I am in 3 mode.  But if I am in 1 mode the PgUp and PgDn keys
won't work.

Believe me that was the less thing of what I mentioned that I cared.

Go to rigging and start orienting your joints...

Also make an account in CreativeCrash you will be visiting that a lot to
find scripts, donwloading them and see if they work.

You will have a very nice tool bar with lots of stuff!  You might also want
to leave your script editor opened all the time with all the nice stuff you
will be downloading.

I forgot to mention...  download a script for saving your weights after you
skinned and weighted your mesh... You never now when you will need to
rebuild your skin cluster.  Specially when you are doing corrective
shapes.  There is a time and you will never know when the scripts you
downloaded for extracting the skin, or getting the deltas will stop
working.  Unless you detach your skin, and bind it again. If you don't have
saved your weights, I don't want to tell you how bald you will be.

Save, save and resave your work before going to the next step in a complex
rig.   You never know when Maya is going to crash or when you will need to
go back.  Not becuase you are working on another version and want to go
back because the other version was better.  Just because when something
stops working it is better to go to a saved version than get under the hood
and try to find what is not working.

Be careful also when doing blend shapes.  If you delete the base of the
mesh you used to get into the blend shape node and you want to remove that
blend shape, there is no way to do it.  Unless of course you find a script
that maybe will work.  I haven't found one that works, and I already
downloaded like 3 or 4.

So better be prepared in organizing your scene space as you will have
duplicates and duplicates all over your scene when working.  You can use
the layers to group all the meshes you are using and that need to be there
if you are still working on the blend and corrective shapes to hide them or
make them visible.

Have patience with the Graph Editor and handling the handles of the curves.
With time you will think is not that bad after all...

You cannot do math operations in the value boxes like in Softimage.

This is just to begin.

Make sure that in your journey you have a Dev or TD.  And be prepared to do
your job in at least double the time.

Good luck in the Exodus, transition, flee or whatever you want to call it.