Are you referring to the functionality offered by maya in the context of
modelling, or the fact that it is split between 2 modules because AD can't
be bothered to offer a homogenised and intuitive experience ?

I'll give you an example, when you are using nex any time you SHIFT+RIGHT
CLICK to access a marked menu option, you are basically leaving nex,you
then have to turn it back on to continue modelling, when it comes to
functionality that is not native to nex, thir is in fact no way around this.

Maya has artisan for painting relax and smooth.

However it has no in built commands to relax or smooth individual
components.

one of the worst and most glaring flaws in the maya toolset is the
inability to competently hide/show polygon elements. the only option is to
isolate, which requieres you to  invert your selection before hiding, and
even when the elements seem hidden they are still technically there and
selectable which is catastrophic as you may alter them without knowing it,
and they obstruct your interactions, eg if i am modelling the inside of a
mouth, i like to be able to hide the lips and interact directly with the
elements i am modelling, in maya this is rendered futill as the hidden
element is still there, so when i go to select it i am ultimatly going to
select an invisible polygon. the only work flow i have seen people use to
counter this is to model in wireframe mode and delete half the character, a
luxury you don't get to do when a model comes back fr a retake...