I'm just guessing, but cutting down all the 3rd party and Autodesk property
things used in Maya/Max isn't a easy task. It would require personal, time
and money to do it. And for what? to please a few some SI users for free?

Never gonna happen.

Selling Softimage or even part of it to another company so they can compete
against Autodesk?

Never gonna happen.

RedShift ?! Come on !
As amazing as the beta is, they don't even have a finished product yet.

So let's try to be a little more realistic, please.

The fact that they don't even want to sell us licenses at full price, makes
this "open source" discussion just a waste of time. They just want to erase
SI from the face of the earth as soon as possible so we could all use Maya.
They don't care how much that will affect you as long as they can expand
Maya's market share.

If one only thinks about profit, it isn't a bad move I guess. Announcing
EOL and stop selling licenses in 3 weeks (or less in some places) is just
too rushed. $10K per seat isn't a simple decision for some people like me,
but I know, you (AD) just don't care.

Martin