Ok now I get what your saying.  Your just talking about the drop-down menu that
in Maya changes what menus are available in the top menu bar and in Soft,
changes what menus are available in the side menu bar.  Neither is context
sensitive based on what you have selected, it’s just providing a different set
of menus depending on what mode you chose.  In softimage, if you alt+right
click an object, you get a different menu depending on the object/component
type, so one menu for what makes sense for faces, and other for edges and
another for points, etc..  I only use that sparingly, normally for getting to
things like ‘bevel’ quite quickly after I have my selection ready.  For most
other things, like welding and splitting edges, there are way more interactive
options that Soft provides by default.

Cheers, thanks for explaining that, I was very confused Joseph, my bad.