I'd argue that having 100 "g" keys in Maya would be far better than 1.

It's a real pain to have to re-initialize a tool just to get it to repeat
because you did something else that erased the "g" memory. There is wasted time
and effort there.

There is the temporal factor as well. In Maya "g" is only useful if you use it
immediately after the command you want to repeat. I make a sphere, then
duplicate with transform at 10 units. I hit "g" eight times I'll get ten sphere
total ten units apart. In Soft, if I don't use the primitive button all day
long I can middle click repeat the sphere creation command eight hours later,
regardless what else I do. That's just not possible in Maya.

The significance of this one seemingly mundane command really can't be ignored.
It's far more than "just" a repeat tool.

--
Joey Ponthieux
Opinions stated here-in are strictly those of the author and do not