bear in mind, i wasn't really comparing Houdini to ICE, regardless -

things that account for the 'phenomena' in my view:

the sheer scalability and iterative workflow that you can get with vops
and a little bit of inline cpp

really did impress me, assets and otls seem solid and much improved
since last i used houdini in anger (v9)

the python integration feels complete and mind numbingly simple to
learn,

internal organization of large networks seems to be handled well

At the moment, i'd agree that ice is vastly better for deformation in
terms of speed, still too early for me to tell if it's better

in scope yet.

i put the potential clunkiness of houdini rigs down to the vp speed.
all the rigs i've done in the past week or so have all

cooked within acceptable limits yet handled like mollasses.

--
Jon Swindells
jon_swinde...@fastmail.fm