Ultimately I can do the same things in all three packages, in Maya in
example I don't even try to find workarounds, whenever I bump into one of
the innumerable gaps I just write my way out of it with a node, which
incidentally is also why I'm taking a looking to splice and looking forward
to their CUDA implementation instead of using my own in c++.
Text is tremendously expressive, if expensive in terms of learning curve,
which is also a cookie point for vex really.

The problem comes when you have deadlines and you simply want to experiment
without redoing at the end of the process. For that Soft was simply the
perfect storm.
ICE limitation of having a strict I/O domain and the sequential stack with
entry points, the clarity and abundance of atomic nodes, and a generally
cohesive experience remain unbeaten.

In Soft when you hit a wall you often hit it hard, but those are few and
far between, and in between you could really fly. Same goes for clusters,
properties, drag'n'drop and how Soft presents and links those larger
aggregates, they simply work 99% of the time.
Maya and Houdini simply don't provide that experience, and their learning
curve to reach that level of fluidity is measured in years, while with Soft
we had people who never used it literally flying around within a month.

As a creature TD Houdini simply doesn't get you on the zone quickly enough,
if ever. It's brilliant for a number of things, infinitely powerful, has
best of breed solvers, but it gets in the way constantly. It's patently
obvious they rarely, almost never in fact, had to address teams like the
ones I run as user base.

Performance in general is also pretty abysmal (was, might be better know)
and optimisation is opaque and lacking in immediately useful tools and
diagnostics.
Again, as of two and half years ago. Might be different now and I wouldn't
know, but nothing I've read or seen suggests so.