There is always the AD solution: "lets discontinue our way to better
interoperability!"

Case and point:

Zbrush GoZ, one click compatibility transfer with Maya Max Softimage
Lightwave C4D Modo etc.... unconditional with any version.

AD, mudbox: one click transfer to Max Maya... version dependent non
backwards compatible.

Acquires Alembic, implements it in... 1 application (no i am not counting
Softimage 2015).

Implements Open Sub Div in... 1 application.

Sumatra seems more like an Ideal, something to strive for.

Then again maybe FE will lead us all to the promised land :)