If you are using the high res map, the jpeg file
TychoSkymapII.t5_16384x08192.jpg will work just as well as the tiff without the
file size overhead. Go to the image file’s ADJUST tab and set the Exposure to
something like 2.0. You’ll be absolutely amazed at what is lurking in the lower
range of the image. ☺

This should work equally as well whether you use the Environment shader that
Matt suggested or a sphere object. If you are using a sphere object though you
should set the material to a constant shader for best results. I find an
exposure of about ~1 to ~1.5 lets these details show up without making the
Milky Way  disc too obvious.

You’ll also want to avoid looking at either of the poles. The projection they
used does not appear to compensate real well with a typical spherical UV
projection

From a personal perspective, to see the universe in this way and with this
level of clarity is really amazing. Our sun is just one of those dots.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES)