I'm rendering with Redshift. What I've been experimenting with is to take the
star field map I'm using for the background, whether Hubble or now Joey
Ponthieux's wonderful suggestion of the NASA star field image. It seems to wrap
nicely to a sphere, not much shows up in the render, but it's a good base to
work with.

I use the crystalize filter in photoshop, which seems to create larger facets
out of the star intensities -- flat shapes of color values -- based on averaged
pixel information (as far as I can tell), to create an HDR image. You can make
the facets as large or small as you'd like, and it still approximates something
from the background source image. So, it is like having as many subtly
different low lights as you'd like.  I downsize the faceted image, turn it into
32 bit, and use a saved selection to boost the lighter facets up past 1. This
makes some nice, slightly varied lighting for the GI, not too demanding of the
renderer. I love image based lighting for GI, it is fairly simple to create
whatever kind of HDRI you want in PS these days, it's come a long way in that
area.  But I will also have some local lights in the scene as well.

The lasers will not be forthcoming. ;-)

I still need to get some nebula-type atmospheric stuff going though... To liven
things up. Maybe work in some Hubble nebulas or better yet, something that will
actually drift through the scene.
I'm wishing I were more well-versed in ICE...

Nancy