Addendum:

It's also part of the reason why 3rd party apps such as Fabric Engine can
render faster than the native viewports - less overhead.

Matt

From: Matt Lind
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 2:11 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: ot: unreal engine

Not the entire reason, but a big part of it is DCC apps must spend a lot of
time reading and evaluating construction histories and other user interaction
whereas the displayed data in a game engine is stripped down to the bare
minimum for performance.  Game engines will always be faster than DCC apps in
that regard, and by a large factor.

As for look quality, it's just a matter of writing the shaders.  You can do
that in Softimage.

Matt