Just to add some thoughts on this...

I started building virtual pc's for this 'occasion' some years ago, just to be on the safe side.

I still have a Win95/98/NT/2000/XP virtual disk lying around with some 'critial' software installed, just to be able to open up that one program from years ago. Or to run some other stuff that's impossible in the newer version of Windows now.

At some point I had to convert my virtual pc 'disks' to a new virtual pc program, but that was less hassle than doing all Matt described. ;-)

I think we're all in the same situation at the moment. I also have a boat load of assets, created over the years going back to Softimage 3.0. All neatly packaged in a separate project as scenes or models. All shaded and textured, ready to go. The more 'beefy' assets are now models linked to a Arnold .ass file for quick handling and rendering.

At some point we sadly have to leave Softimage behind, so what to do with all these assets? Depending on what's next, there's probably a slow conversion to this new 3D application. Or conversion to .obj or .fbx for longer, more app agnostic storage.

For me, having the virtuals pc's/software lying around is the easiest solution at the moment. How this all will play out in the next years is another story ;-)

cheers, and happy holidays to all!

Rob