I don't have a library of softimage assets worth keeping, but if I did
I would certainly make sure I have a copy of Softimage in a Windows 7
VM like you mention, which I would archive and keep a backup copy
off-site .  Never update that copy of Windows, never work with it
except to get assets out.  I worry that Softimage may not function at
all in a few years, as some components it relies on might be broken in
a Windows update where Microsoft favours security over compatibility.
 I have Softimage 2010 at home and it is already broken; every
workflow that prompts for a file browser just hangs, and I can't fix
it user-side, I've tried everything already short of re-installing the
OS, which I won't do.

The file format is binary and practically encrypted, so only the app
can load those files. Worse, there is a design flaw whereby the app
can crash if a required plugin is not installed or has a problem while

Safe keeping the installers is no security, they may not run at all in
the future, being tangled in microsoft "MSI" installer tech and other
things.  Older 32-bit Softmage installers already don't run because
they have a 16-bit component which won't run on 64-bit Windows.  Now
the trick is finding a VM product that you can trust will continue to
work for 10 years.  I'm not sure if I trust Virtual PC to still be
around in the future.