After trying to learn maya for about 6 months, learning houdini is a breath of fresh air!! It is not softimage, but I think its the only thing that will come close to the flexibility and power of soft for small studios and freelancers.
Once you get into it, It is even more power.
I tried learning it about 2 years ago, and gave up because I thought my time would be better spent getting better in soft (the future was still bright back then) Back then it seemed complicated, but after dealing with maya, it feels sooo much friendlier. The way I see it, you get the operator stack, and ice tree, all in one place, the network view
So its one thing to learn.
In Maya I feel like I have to learn new software every time I do something else. Rigging I found nicer than soft, and the animation editor in houdini feels like a polished version of the soft one.
Houdini engine is still blowing my mind.. like it doesn't stop!!
At $300 you cannot ignore this as a piece of your pipeline!
I'll probably do allot of work in maya because I need to fit into teams of Mayans, but with the houdini engine, I can do the work in the software best suited for it, without forcing the rest of the team to conform.