Hey Greg,

What I was referring to is to sculpt shapes on the base (neutral) model,
and be able to see it at the same time in the rigged pose. Each view port
in Softimage has the ability to change "Construction Mode Display". Set to
current and make sure you're in modeling mode and that viewport will be
looking at the non-deformed model. Create your shapes there and tweak as
needed. On another viewport keep it set to "Result (top)" and pose the
character and you'll see the full deformed / posed rig.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com