Hi All

Mostly out to educators , but very all opinions welcome as I know quite a few
folks have played around with Unity and Unreal

We have a new Games design degree. We are now in the Fourth year which means
our first set of student are in their final year. We are in a situation where
we have started our 2nd and 3rd game design students in Unity3d (for the past
year)

This went fairly well for a first year and we got some decent work out of it.
However since paying for our first 30 EDU licences a few things have happened

1) Unlike last year the timetables make it impossible to only need 30 licences
for 60 students
2) We now have a fourth year adding another 30 licences to that figure for a
total of 90
3) As per the usual at a University our budget has been cut , however this time
its been cut 40%
4) Our lovely currency has gone to crap vs the dollar
5) Unreal released a free edu version of their engine.

So the burning question is do we suck up the one year with Unity and move to
Unreal or is Unity the better one to stick with for teaching purposes. its
worth noting we are also stuck with Maya as the 3d App that they will have
access to, as we are no longer allowed to teach our beloved Softimage :(

Apologies for the wide scope of the question but budgeting is currently giving
me sleepless nights .

--
Angus Davidson
ICT Project Leader- Digital Arts

style="width:100%;">
size="1" color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is
intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in