From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Luc-Eric
Rousseau
Sent: 06 March 2015 18:50
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: OT maya random/linear in channel box

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Jordi Bares Dominguez
<jordiba...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Before someone jump in saying that maya is the worst thing in the
universe

> It does to me as it breaks my thinking flow and momentum, exactly the same
> than someone asking to jump on a meeting while you are animating, when you
> the zone.
>
> It's the Artist > technical > Artist switching that XSI does manage so
well
> and this is one very good example of why IMO workflow in Maya is a total
> mess.

It's a terrible example for that imho. R(0,100) is not discoverable so you
have to be told that this feature exists and may need to launch the web
browser to remind you what the notation is and what the parameters mean.
You're typing something that looks like a function call  in a different
notation than the random in XSI's expression language, or the built-in
scripting langages, because it was a feature written for the video product
and it's not a programming language. The skill you got learning the notation
cannot really be applied to anything else and it can't be customized,
extended, dropped  on a toolbar, and it doesn't log a command you can
repeat. It's a secret handshake for the initiated. There are few things like
this in XSI imho, we usually made sure to not have hidden features.