> ... the new RIS mode is useful and a nice addition, got a couple of crashes
> from Maya .... as usual.

Both Maya ports of 3Delight and Renderman are not very stable, I got frequent
crashes from them in the past too. Other than that 3Delight is the bomb, it's
been featuring dual path tracing for quite some time now.
As far as stability of the connection plugin is concerned (not to mention raw
speed) I'd go for Redshift. Both it's Maya and XSI ports are very stable, and
affordable too.