Yes that is Softimage to Softimage, but it would also apply from Maya to
Softimage, you can also get Crate for Maya, the only consideration you must
have is your naming, and the paths inside the alembic file, with crate you
are able to flatten the hierarchy and avoid exporting the parent name so
you end up with an alembic file which only contains your mesh objects in
it, so then you can apply it relative to any model or container you want.

For example you have this in maya
GroupName
- Mesh1
- Mesh2

You end up with an alembic file which only contains the meshes.
- Mesh1
- Mesh2

Then with crate you can select to which container to apply it and you just
have to worry about your mesh names.
ModelName
- Mesh1
- Mesh2

We have some tools to avoid doing this manually for several assets, but if
you keep the same container names in both Maya and Softimage you can export
one alembic file for diferent assets which include the container name.