Hi Phil,

I would advise against consolidating screenspace from 2 displays into just one display.

It´s nice to have a 4kish main display if the distance to the screen fits comfortably to the sitting position in front of it and there´s enough depth to the desk but still, having a second monitor in something of the 24"-27" inch range is a very pleasant way to have floating windows, other programs and references in view but out of the way.

Personally, I like having a 27" as my main, centered display and at least some 24" to my left.

Other´s swear on centering their displays around their viewing axis but I don´t like looking
at that gap between screens all day, I prefer things wheighted to one side.

Anything much bigger than 30", I found annoying in the past because I would either end up constantly craning my neck around while looking across the screen or I would squint my eyes to read small fonts after having pushed the display farther away to reduce that initial headswinging.

In a nutshell, i found it really depends on the available desk´s depth for a comfortable viewing distance.

It should be deep enough to allow to push the display as far back as needed to see the whole image at a glance, fit a Wacom and keyboard inbetween and still let you rest your forearms comfortably on the desk.

Cheers,

tim