> I don't know, but an 'already determined (& rather bleak) fate'
> sounds alot to me like 'death row', which I really don't think at-all
> ever applied to XSI until.. (ice)

No, that's an error on your part.  'Fate' is a long term outcome based on
development of events outside one's control.  It's not synonymous with
death.  In this case it meant Softimage would never be the 800 pound gorilla
some hoped it would be.  That fate was determined by customers already
investing in other options due to the long string of broken promises and
being late to market thereby damaging credibility.  Many of the tangible
issues were later remedied, but not until after it was too late.

> I don't either recall that, I would think that if anything,
> whichever it's state, would have had a growth somewhat
> relative to what ICE seemed to bring, as opposed to the other
> way around, or -maybe- with a time delay if the prior version
> happened to have some issue (?)

Exactly my point.  2007 was the high point in your stats, and the same year
which the issues with XSI 6.x occurred.  It takes a while for issues like
that to become impactful on a global scale, but even more difficult to undo
the damage once it's done.  Winter months are a popular time to hire in most
industries.  Most hiring was likely front loaded before the XSI 6.x issues
were widely known as many were likely still on XSI 5.11 at the time, so the
damage in the jobs sector likely wasn't seen until later in the year.  Add
in some of the observations of Luc-Eric and there you have it.  The numbers
were already in decline before ICE was released and never recovered.  ICE
did bring new eyes onto the product, but not enough to overcome the other
shortcomings.  By that point ICE acted as life support keeping options open,
and the timing of it's introduction was important too.

If ICE had already been on the market a few years, data would've illustrated
whether it was helping sales or not.  If it wasn't making a big dent,
Softimage would've been killed sooner.  But because ICE was *just*
introduced at time of the Autodesk acquisition, Autodesk had to at least let
the ICE hand run for a bit and see if it had any legs.  That bought
Softimage at least a few years it wouldn't have had otherwise.  Avid was
determined to get rid of Softimage to solve their other internal issues, and
the only other taker in rumor was Dassault - do you really think Dassault
understood media and entertainment well enough to give the kind of support
Softimage needed?  I don't.  So you can knock Autodesk all you want, and the
knocks may be perfectly valid, but on the flip side the alternatives weren't
necessarily better or assure an improved situation.  For all we know
Dassault could've pulled a Microsoft and dumped millions into the company
only to suddenly pull the cord when sales didn't meet expectations.
Autodesk at least let the boat sale for better or for worse.

If you don't remember XSI 6.x, then you must've been living under a rock or
not pushing the software's feature set very hard.  Keep in mind that
Softimage had strong games market and XSI 6.x's issues were especially bad
for game developers.  So if you were working in film/video, you likely
didn't feel the impact of that release as much as a game developer would
have.  As I stated numerous times in the past, my studio didn't get any
relief until Softimage 7.5, and we were then stuck on that release until
Softimage 2013 SP1 because of all the show stopping issues in between.  I
know of other studios in similar boats.  Some threw caution to the wind and
pushed forward anyway only to later regret doing that.

What Maya or anybody else does at that point is almost irrelevant.

Matt