I almost never use painting for weights but, creating groups (list of
components), or clusters, to lock their weights with buttons in a PPG
should be very easy to code.

Or do you mean something like Maya's ngSkinTools ? That looks pretty cool,
but since I rarely use painting weights I haven't tried it that much.

Martin