Yes, it is possible. It works as an array of 16 (or 9) floats. Just make a Point Wrangle with some points going in and put "matrix @mat;" in it to see.

> How would an experienced Houdini person deal with getting/calculating Pointreferenceframe on a surface?

Polyframe SOP should get you there pretty quickly. It doesn't create a matrix attribute though as it won't interpolate correctly across primitives. It just creates normal, tangent, and bi-tangent vectors.

You can use xyzdist() and primuv() to find and interpolate those vectors. Those functions give you the Houdini equivalent functionality of locations. You can then calculate the matrix in Vex using "maketransform(vector zaxis, vector xaxis)" (http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/functions/maketransform)

Worth mentioning that the Attribute Interpolate SOP can do the same thing as primuv() if you prefer.