Investing your time into mastering the totality of one major software is
risky.

The specific example that I want to test in the coming months doesn't seem
unreasonable for one person (and you could swap the parts out to suit your
tastes/budget/needs/prior experience) (but please critique the idea.  I
value your experience Mirko and I've lurked around enough to pick up a lot
from you, so feel free to tear the idea apart):

Modeling (Blender +Plug-ins & Marvelous Deisgner). Sculpting (Mudbox).
Retopo for baking/animation (ZBrush & Blender). UV's (semi-automated via
Houdini). Baking/Painting (Mudbox & Substance). Rigging+Animation (Houdini
or possibly Akeytsu).  Everything else i.e.
Shading/Lighting/Hair/Dynamics/FX/etc.
(Houdini or Unreal Engine 4).  Then pick your favorite compositor.

With the above, I already know Blender and the plug-ins I need for
modeling/Marvelous Designer/Mudbox/ZBrush (and a decent bit of UE4) for the
tasks I want to accomplish.  The rest of it is a work in progress/I'm still
deciding.

The cost isn't even too bad.  Blender = free.  Marvelous Designer = $50 a
month as needed.  Mudbox $10 a month.  ZBrush one time $800.  Substance $20
a month or as needed.  Houdini Indie $200 a year (OR if you needed it
Houdini FX $2,495 a year after the first ($4,495) year).  Akeytsu (Haven't
tested it yet, but it's cheap at $200 and it looks powerful).  Unreal
Engine Free up front + 0% to 5% depending on the project.

I cannot see myself mastering every single one of those (or even ever
mastering just Houdini on it's own), but I can see myself using each one to
great effect for a very very specific task and leveraging that tool's
specific strengths to improve the final quality (and perhaps in spots even
winning back some lost time).

For me the options are stay with Softimage and eventually be completely
limited, try to pick a major software to master again to replace Softimage
(aka. Houdini / Blender / Maya) which seems very risky/foolish.  Or go the
above route, changing things on an as needed basis.